Sunday, May 30, 2010

NY Day 4/5 - Typical tourist activities

 Taking a break halfway across the Brooklyn Bridge

Breakfast on the go: Sis checking out the selection at a sandwich store

Day four, with our luggage in place, we finally decided it was time for some sightseeing. My sister wanted to visit the Norwegian Seamen's Church, located in Midtown East. Since it was a Sunday, there was a service. Because of all the people stranded by the ash cloud, we were told there were a lot more visitors than usual. Here's my sis outside the rather unpretentious church:

The American and the Norwegian flags side by side

And a little lipstick is needed before entering the service at King Olav the 5th's Church, as it's called:


 
"Do I look presentable now?"

Later on we met up with our cousin to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. Caught in a windy moment here:


After crossing the bridge, we hailed a cab from the Brooklyn side of the brigde and went to Williamsburg. The guidebook was over itself about how fantastic that area is supposed to be. While that might be so during nighttime, going out to the many clubs or bars, it certainly wasn't much fun during a cold and windy Sunday afternoon. Our very quick retreat back to Manhattan was unanimous.

That night I had made a reservation for the four of us at the Tao Restaurant, after reading a blogpost about it by fellow blogger She Wore It Well from Melbourne, Australia. Now, that was a success seen from my point of view. I loved the busy atmosphere of the place, the interior design and the food. Having been tempted by a picture SWIW had posted, of the Giant Fortune cookie dessert, I could hardly wait to try it for myself:

Inside one side: White chocolate mousse. Inside the other: Milk chocolate mousse. One serving was big enough for four. One word to describe it: Fantastic!

On our day of returning home, we spent the last few hours checking out some of the stores on the Upper West Side, around the area where we were staying. Sis made certain she did not forget any necessities before leaving:


All stocked up

I made it into a Gap store and found three pairs of shorts for summer. One pair of beige linen shorts, and two pairs of a model they called boyfriend shorts, one white and one army green:




They should all go really well with my love of everything khaki or army green colored, like this top and jacket which I got from H&M when I returned home:


Or this tank from last year's Diesel collection with an army green bra underneath:


The only sad thing is, with all this stress I've experienced lately my weight has dropped several kilos. While they fit perfectly in the store a month ago, wearing a pair of shorts today for the first time this summer I found now they're a bit on the big side. 

Oh well, I guess that gives me an excuse to have a lot of ice cream when the sun starts heating things up.

14 comments:

  1. Wonderful things, you've bought - and those food-pictures - yum !

    It's raining here - but I'm going out for icecream anyway :-D

    /Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you're having a wonderful time..
    That sweet treat looks incredible! So decadent!
    Have fun...
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, you guys had a wonderful time! Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge must have been a great experience. I'm so jealous.
    Love your pictures ... and your new clothes!
    Oh and thank you so much.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful time it seems you had. Great amount of shopping, walking, sightseeing and EATING and that fortune cookie looked amazing! Isn't it great to get recommendations from fellow bloggers - like our own secret 'club'! Hope you have a good week. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yummm the cookie looks as good as ever. And the bridge walk was one of my fave things!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a wonderful time!!! Great food.. nice sights.. and a few lost kilos! Works for me!

    Licks from me!!

    Olive

    ReplyDelete
  7. That fortune cookie is incredible - and it looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely memories and YES, you need to eat LOTS of ice-cream and delicious white chocolate mousse concoctions to fit into these lovely shorts again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such delightful New York memories. That white chocolate mousse looks heavenly - am sure you felt sensuous and joyous whilst consuming it;-)
    Here's sending you a warm ray of sunshine;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by! I hope that you have a great weekend too...I am so envious you were in NYC! I LOVE it there, soo much fun. We have a TAO here in Las Vegas too, I will have to look for that fortune cookie dessert :)
    Nathalie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh what a nice recap and lovely clothing as usual. The dessert sounds delicious! I do indeed hope you get to eat lots of delicious things to fit your shorts again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow...that fortune cookie...wow! Yum!

    Oh what a shame that you have to eat ice cream and fatty food to fit into your new clothes. ;) Enjoy that!

    Great to see more pics. Never been to NYC but it looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. great pics..

    and cute clothing finds too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just wrote this super long comment and my internet died as I tried to post. Maybe it is as sign I was being too wordy.
    Here is the nitty gritty: Glad you had fun, hope that you got deserved rest and that you are taking care of yourself!!!

    ReplyDelete